Why Study In Cyprus?
Cyprus is the third largest island in the Mediterranean Sea after islands of Sardinia and Sicily.
Cyprus is increasingly popular among international students thanks to its well-respected education system, reasonable tuition fees and year-round sunshine.
Cyprus is a land of contrasts with many faces. It is a small country but third largest island In the Mediterranean, situated in the north eastern corner of the Mediterranean, at the crossroads of Europe, Asia and Africa.
The island’s 648km of coastline boasts endless stretches of golden sands, secluded bays and rocky coves whilst inland. It is blessed with a warm, sunny climate and enjoys as many as 340 days of sunshine a year. It experiences hot dry summers and mild winters. This country is rich in natural resources and is believed to be a derivative of the ancient Greek word for Copper.
The best part of this country is its hospitality. Life is meant to enjoyed in Cyprus with emphasizes on excellent quality of life. As with Mediterranean Cultures, Food- both preparation and eating plays a vital role in their hospitality. Cypriots are highly educated and multilingual with use of Greek and Turkish and widely spoken English among them.
The Education system in Cyprus consists of the following stages:
Pre-Primary Education is compulsory for all children between 4 8/12 – 5 8/12 years old. Children are also accepted over the age of 3. This level of education aims to satisfy the children’s needs for the development of a wholesome personality in an experiential environment which enables them to recognize their capabilities and enhance their self-image.
Primary education is compulsory for all children over the age of 5 8/12 and has a duration of 6 years. The aim of Primary Education is to create and secure the necessary learning opportunities for children regardless of age, sex, family and social background and mental abilities.
Secondary General Education offers two three-year cycles of education – Gymnasio (lower secondary education) and Lykeio (upper secondary education) – to pupils between the ages of 12 and 18. The curriculum includes core lessons, interdisciplinary subjects and a variety of extracurricular activities.
Instead of the Lykeio, pupils may choose to attend Secondary Technical and Vocational Education which provides them with knowledge and skills which will prepare them to enter the workforce or pursue further studies in their area of interest.
Post-Secondary Vocational Education and Training (Post- Secondary Institutes of VET):
Post-Secondary Vocational Education and Training offers all types of vocational education and training and provides students with the necessary qualifications by imparting academic and technical knowledge, as well as professional and practical skills. The duration of the programmes offered is two years, on a 5-day basis.
Public Higher Education Institutions:
Higher education in Cyprus is also provided by a number of Public Higher Education Institutions, none of which has university status. The Mediterranean Institute of Management (MIM) which operates under the Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance offers academic postgraduate programmes of study in Business and Public Administration. The rest of the Public Institutions of Higher Education, offer vocational programmes of study with a duration ranging from one to three academic years. These programmes do not provide access to second cycle programmes. The apolyterion of Secondary Education or equivalent qualification, and entry exams is a prerequisite for access to the programmes offered by these Public Higher Education Institutions. Their programmes of study are considered as accredited. Following the legislation of Τhe Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Higher Education and the Establishment and Operation of an Agency on Related Μatters Laws, 2015 and 2016, the responsible Authority for the accreditation-validation of their programmes of study is The Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Higher Education.
- European University- Cyprus
- Frederick University- Cyprus
- University of Nicosia- Cyprus
- Neapolis University- Pafos
- University of Central Lancashire- Cyprus
Private Institutions of higher Education:
Currently, 43 Private Institutions of Higher Education are registered with the Ministry of Education and Culture. Private Institutions of Higher Education do not have university status but they offer both academic and vocational programmes of study at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Their programmes of study are evaluated and accredited by The Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Higher Education.
- Affordable Tuition Fee: Universities in Cyprus provide quality education at quite affordable cost than most other parts of Europe.
- Study in a safe and friendly environment: The environment is safe and friendly. Compared to most parts of Europe, the crime rate in Cyprus is reasonably low.
- Lower cost of living and study than other European countries: Living, eating and transport in Cyprus is much cheaper as compared to other European countries. Cyprus offer very affordable living conditions for students.
- No IELTS/TOEFL is required: Cracking the IELTS/TOEFL Tests are the major hurdle for many students in their way to study abroad. Fortunately, Cyprus allows students to come and study with their education providers without imposing condition to clear any language test. There is no form of discrimination.
- Quality Education Provider: Cyprus education providers allow quality education at international standards in English. Internationally recognized undergraduate and graduate programs serving all interests are provided to the students. Currently, thousands of international students from various countries are studying in Cyprus. In this way, students enjoy additional advantage of learning in a multicultural environment. World class standard of Education with Excellent facilities for social, cultural and sports activities are provided.
- Easier Study Visa Requirements: Getting a visa to Cyprus as a student is not very difficult. Just have the right documents and you will not be refused. You can contact us for more information.
- Work Rights on Student Visa: Students are allowed to work 20 hours week on student visa. And, after study, students get post study work visa to get international work experience.
- Pleasant climate and beautiful beaches: Cyprus has one of the best beaches in the world. With its warm, dry summers and mild winters Cyprus is a Pleasant place to stay.
Every year, a number of International students take admission in Institutes of Cyprus as it offers higher education in a safe, multicultural environment at very reasonable cost. Remember, eligibility criteria of all Colleges and Universities of Cyprus is not same. Some Institutes may have slightly different criteria. Students can apply for undergraduate courses in Cyprus twice a year.
If a student is applying for admission in any Cyprus Institute, then following requirements must be fulfilled:
- A valid Passport
- Photocopy of Passport
- Passport size photograph
- A duly signed application form
- Academic certificates
- Fund proof
- Police clearance Certificate
- Health insurance coverage
- Statement of Purpose
Post-graduation work permits are not easily attainable in Cyprus but possible. The students have to exit Cyprus within 60 days of completion of their study programme in Cyprus at any case. If they have attained an employment contract from Cyprus based firm, they can re-enter the country with work permit. The work permit is submitted in Cyprus by employer who will fulfill the requirements of inviting the foreign employee according to Cypriot law and then send an invitation letter to intended employee. The intended employee will apply for work permit at the Cyprus’s Embassy located in their home country and submit required documents for approval. If approved, the candidate can enter Cyprus on the work permit visa and will be issued a temporary residence permit which will be valid for 1 year duration initially and can be renewed every year. After 5 years of living in Cyprus on temporary resident, the candidate can apply for permanent residency visa of Cyprus. The graduates entering in Cyprus on employment based will apply for Category E visa.